Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Souls That Die as Their Body Lives On

The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him. Ezekiel 18:20

 After the shooting by a madman in Connecticut last weekend all kinds of blame has been leveled.  All kinds of theories as to the cause.  The solutions aren't much better.  The efforts at legislation to come up with a worldly fix are futile.  We are dealing with the most basic of human flaws.  Sin.

I know that Adam Lanza was mentally unstable.  Had violent tendencies.  Those that were treated with drugs.  I have known many people with similar problems.  They are a challenge.  Drugs don't solve the problem, they only mask the problem.  Repress it for a while.

There were evidences that he was hot and cold.  His mother was frightened of him.  It was reported today that he murdered her because he believed he was about to be institutionalized.  I don't know if the report is true.  I do know that there were things that led up to the moment he went off the deep end and took so many lives and then his own.

Sin is insidious.  I sneaks up on you.  It has often snuck up on me.  I find myself caught in it's grip and only by the grace of God and his voice speaking to by an unseared conscience am I able to stop.

If however I were to continue to sin, continue to find myself in that place of degradation, eventually my soul would die.  That is what the scripture says.  I will die in my soul realm, even if I am walking around, talking, eating, sleeping.

I don't know what caused Adam Lanza's soul to die, but you don't shoot 6 year old little boys and girls in the head in cold blood if your soul still lives.  Perhaps it was the panic his mother had about economic collapse.  Perhaps it was the constant diet of violent video games he played.  Perhaps it was his obsession with something else that he knew at the beginning wasn't good for him, but he continued in it, on the road to perdition.  That pathway that led to soul death.

Before we are born again our soul may respond to a God given conscience and restrain us, but we are dead spiritually, even if our soul lives.  When we are born again our spirit comes alive and we are on the road to a living soul once again as the word of regeneration washes over us.

I will confess, seeing a friend quote this today shook me.  I came to grips with the fact that a soul death is just sin breadths away from where I am today.  It happens to even people who KNOW God.

Cain was angry with God, angry with his brother.  He had violent thoughts toward him.  God spoke to him and said,  “Why do you look so dejected? You will be accepted if you do what is right. But if you refuse to do what is right, then watch out! Sin is crouching at the door, eager to control you. But you must subdue it and be its master.”  Genesis 4:6-7

Of course we know the outcome, Like Adam Lanza, sin crouched at his door and he responded by murder of Able.  His soul died, even as God was trying to speak to him.  We really don't know how things came out for Cain in the end.

The devil looks for open doors to come thru.  It doesn't take much.  Sin doesn't condemn you as much as a soul that no longer knows sin.  The voice goes silent.

Drugs, alcohol and habituation is what allows sin to reign over us.  The devil roars...

Sin is our enemy, sin has no cure except Jesus.  There is no other remedy.

I know that secularists would claim that he was sick, could not be cured, could not be redeemed. That he was a ticking time bomb without a future.  I have no evidence except the people I know who were as sin sick as anyone, that with Jesus alive in them, they have lived a life of meaning.  This is certain, Adam Lanza would have had a chance with the life of Jesus in him, the kids may be alive and in school today, the teachers alive and his mother still being mom.

I don't know what the spiritual life in the Lanza household was or was not.  I only know what I see.

A dead soul and now a dead body....in fact 27

No comments: