Tuesday, May 12, 2015

When the Temporal Disturbs

There are all kinds of crises going on in the world.  With a twenty four hour news cycle and reporters equipped with skype and cell phone cameras we see much of it in real time.  That causes us to think that things are worse, getting worse, radically worse.

At one time I tracked these things.  That was in my dispensationalist days.  I decided to become educated on earthquakes around the world and on hurricanes.  I went back in history as far as history existed and measured occurrences of both relating them to current events.  I discovered something.  Earthquakes come and go.  The earth moves a bit and the earthquakes happen.  There are no more nor fewer massive quakes today than there were 50 years ago.  We just hear about them more and graphically.

Same with hurricanes.  And drought in California.  It was a desert, it will be again.  It doesn't have to be as bad as it is, but that's what humans do.

Tornadoes.  About the same.

Yet when I woke up this morning and heard there had been another big quake in Nepal, I heard the Lord say to me, "Don't let the temporal disturb you.  There will always be trouble in time.  Focus on the eternal where I am.  I never change".

While it makes good Jack Van Impe TV things are as they have always been.  Wars, Rumors, Quakes, Storms, Rain, Drought, Fear, Hate, Love and Pain.   Nothing is accelerating or counting down towards anything except that for those of us who are older, we will see eternity sooner than others.

I for one am ready to be done with the temporal and it's constant crisis.  Keep my eyes on the Eternal Preserving God, Creator of all of Heaven and Earth.

No comments: